White distilled vinegar is effective for killing most mold, bacteria and germs due to it’s high level of acidity. Vinegar is a weak form of acetic acid that is made from the fermentation of sugars and starches. White vinegar has so many different uses in the home; it is considered the “miracle cleaner”. It is pocketbook friendly, all natural, safe for pets and nontoxic. Why would you use anything else?
It is a good idea to purchase two empty spray bottles, keep one full with pure white vinegar and the other with half water and half vinegar. This just makes it easier to dispense and have on hand at all times. A person can work wonders cleaning their home naturally just armed with vinegar and water.
There are so many different uses for white vinegar in your home. Here are just a few ideas.
Vinegar mixed with water is an excellent cleaner for all kitchen surfaces like counter tops, refrigerators and stove tops. To shine chrome fixtures simply make a paste of 2 tablespoons salt and 1 teaspoon white vinegar. To clean wooden cutting boards simply just wipe with vinegar. Clean refrigerator shelves with a solution of ½ white vinegar and water.
Did you know that soaking fruit and vegetables in 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water can remove up to 98% bacteria? Soak fruit and vegetables for at least 10 minutes then rinse to get best results.
Vinegar is also useful in the laundry. To decrease lint in laundry add ½ cup straight white vinegar to rinse cycle. To make your bright’s brighter add ½ cup vinegar to the rinse cycle.
If you have pets white vinegar is a good solution to have in house. If your dog has the mishap of getting sprayed by a skunk, use dilution of vinegar and water, rub dog’s fur then rinse with warm water. Repeat a couple times. To keep dogs from scratching their ears rub them with a cloth diluted with vinegar and water.
Vinegar is so versatile in the home. You do not have to worry about the vinegar smell remaining after you use it because the smell dissipates after it dries. So, for people who believe in living green and healthy, white vinegar is a must have in the pantry closet.
This Single-Family in Newton, MA recently sold for $375,000.
This is a Colonial style home and features 5 total rooms, 1 full bath, 1 half bath, 3 bedrooms, 0.07 acres, and was sold by
Kathy Kelley – Prudential Town and Country Real Estate
There comes a time when everyone gets older and decisions need to be made about long-term living options. Making the decision to move a parent into an assisted living facility can be a difficult decision not only for the senior but for the whole family. When is it time to make this decision and how will you know it is the right time? Here are some questions to ask to determine if your parent is ready for assisted living:
- Is your parent eating properly? Check the refrigerator to see if the food is being eaten.
- Is your parent steady on their feet? Are they able to easily navigate through the house?
- Is your parent able to do simple chores like laundry or have you noticed your parent wearing the same clothes when you go to visit?
- When you look around the house or yard, is it as neat and clean as it used to be?
- Is your parent on medications and are they able to remember to take them correctly?
- Is your parent prepared and able to respond appropriately to an emergency?
If you answered yes to even a couple of these questions, your parent may be ready for an assisted living facility. It is a tough decision to move a parent to an assisted living facility. However, as the child of an elderly parent it is your responsibility to ensure they are properly cared for, comfortable, and secure.
Here are some household hints for uses for lemons:
Use a cloth dipped in some lemon juice to clean discolored utensils.
Bring china back to its original shine with one part lemon juice and two parts salt. Scour the china gently with the mixture.
Mix equal parts of lemon juice and salad oil to remove scratches on furniture. Rub the mixture on the scratches with a soft cloth.
To make furniture polish, mix one part lemon juice and two parts olive oil.
The juice from half of a lemon and salt paste will have your white marble shining in no time. You can also tickle the ivories of your piano with the mix to keep them squeaky clean.
Remove dried paint from glass, by applying hot lemon juice with a soft cloth. Leave until nearly dry, and then wipe off.
Shine and remove spots from kitchen and bathroom faucets by rubbing them with lemon peel. Use a soft cloth to shine and remove spots.
Have a lemon do double duty by cleaning your aluminum pots and freshening your house. Slice some lemons, cover with water, and let simmer in a pot for about an hour.
Get your grimy white socks white again by boiling them in water with a slice of lemon.
Please share some of your favorite lemon uses.
Wellesley Listing AlertsWellesley, MA - $615,000
33 Hunnewell St - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Wellesley, MA - $875,000
49 Shore Rd - Single-Family - Contemporary, Cottage - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:3Wellesley, MA - $4,400
4 Westminster Circle - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Wellesley, MA - $1,099,000
6 Delanson Circle - Land - Acres:0.24
Natick Listing AlertsNatick, MA - $499,000
14 West St - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:9 - Beds:5 - Baths:311 hours agoNatick, MA - $1,600
43 North Main Street - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Natick, MA - $499,000
14 West St. - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:4Natick, MA - $299,900
190 Mill Street - Land - Acres:0.52
Needham Listing AlertsNeedham, MA - $1,329,000
25 HEWITT CIRCLE - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:4 - Baths:4/13 hours agoNeedham, MA - $285,000
100 Rosemary Way - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:1/1Needham, MA - $2,850,000
10 Hutter Ridge Road - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:13 - Beds:5 - Baths:5/2Needham, MA - $850,000
1315 HIGHLAND AVE. - Commercial - Year Built:2009 - Acres:0.11
- Two Arrested for Shoplifting from Wellesley Stores December 13, 2013Ayela Traverso of Mattapan and Donald Cue of Dorchester were both charged with numerous counts of larceny over $250 and receiving stolen property over $250. […]
- Wellesley Town Meeting passes measure for beer, wine sale in grocery stores December 13, 2013Wellesley Town Meeting members voted this week to petition the state Legislature to change the town's bylaws to allow the sale of beer and wine at Wellesley's grocery and specialty stores. […]
- GoFundMe Thursday: Help Juan Carlos Come to Boston for Professional Development in Physical Therapy December 13, 2013Lorna Hayward of Wellesley is working to raise funds to bring Juan Carlos to Boston for a week of professional development in November 2014. […]
- Wellesley Free Library the Place to Be This Weekend December 12, 2013Saturday: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly after 2 p.m. It will be cloudy, with a high near 25. Northeast wind will be 6 to 8 mph. […]
- Two Arrested for Shoplifting from Wellesley Stores December 13, 2013
- Natick Public Schools Agenda for Dec. 16 December 13, 2013During public speak there will not be an opportunity for debate of issues raised. […]
- Wayland Frozen Yogurt Shop Holding Raffle For Natick Bereavement Center December 12, 2013Want to win Boston Celtics tickets, a cake or a pie? Frozen Yogurt Innovations, a Wayland business, is holding a raffle for Jeff's Place, a Natick-based bereavement Center that assist people who have lost loved ones. […]
- Wayland Man Arrested on Charge of Assault With a Shovel in Natick December 12, 2013A call to the Natick Police Department on Dec. 11 regarding a domestic dispute resulted in the arrest of a local resident and a Wayland man. […]
- Natick's Zachary Melisi Performs in Colby-Sawyer College's 'Requiem for a SNAFU' December 12, 2013From horror to drama to comedy, the annual production of the CSC Players will be held at 7 p.m. in Wheeler Hall at the Ware Student Center. […]
- Natick Public Schools Agenda for Dec. 16 December 13, 2013
- GoFundMe Thursday: Help Morgan's Family Pay For Her Hospital Bills December 12, 2013On May 12, 2013, 17-year-old Needham resident Morgan Brittain overdosed on heroin after two months of thriving in an inpatient treatment center. […]
- Mantels & Mistletoe Designers Reception to be Held Tonight December 11, 2013Today will be mostly sunny with highs around 30. West winds will be 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. […]
- Partners Healthcare To Move Charlestown Jobs to Somerville But Not Just Now December 9, 2013When Partners Healthcare announced Thursday, Dec. 5, a plan to consolidate their entire administrative operation in a single site, it appeared workers at the health care's Schrafft Center operation would be packing up their holiday decorations for a long trip to their new "home." […]
- Medical Marijuana Zoning to be Discussed at Tuesday's Board of Selectmen Meeting December 9, 2013Monday: There is an 80 percent chance of sleet with rain, freezing rain and snow. […]
- GoFundMe Thursday: Help Morgan's Family Pay For Her Hospital Bills December 12, 2013